Friday, April 21, 2017

Emergency Procedures

Geno time.
I adore this part of my day. The last bell has rung, and Geno holds my hand as we wait in the parent pick up line after school. Geno and I have the best conversations. Having a class of 28 six and seven year olds can leave little time for intimate conversation. So Geno and I wait together, just the two of us in our own blissful world of conversation.

Today we are speaking about emergency procedures at school. "Geno, do you know what to do in case of a tornado?" I question. "Yes," he answers. "You stay as far away from the tornado as you can."

"Ok, Geno," I'm smiling, "what about a fire?" He replies, "You stay as far away from the fire as you can." Now it is Geno's turn to identify an emergency. "Teacher, do you know what to do in a flood?" I pause instead of speak. "Teacher, you must stay as far away from the water as possible."

While it looks like we need to fine tune Geno's list of "things to do in an emergency" I must admit I find a certain tranquility in his response to potential disaster.  Just stay away from trouble of any kind and all will be well.

In Genesis, I'm reading the life of Joseph. Joseph had impending disaster after disaster. In Joseph's case, he could not just "stay as far away as possible." Joseph's troubles began as his brothers anxiously desired to kill but ultimately sold him into slavery. Joseph momentarily secures a position with Pharoah, then another hardy storm of accusation thrusts him into a prison cell. To me, Joseph's story is tragic. To Joseph, there is no victim.

Joseph's emergency plan included only a trusting reliance that anything God sent His way would be used for good. He was not frightened, he was not alarmed. He was at rest that what might have been intended to harm him, God would intend it for good.  Can I trust and not fear when storms come my way?

Geno continues to talk about tsunamis (yes stay away from them), and lightening strikes. and furious Mid-West blizzards. I'd be happy to stay away from them all, sweet boy, but I can't. I have no control over these things. But I can "Stand still and watch the Lord rescue...just stay calm." Exodus 14:13,14

No comments:

Post a Comment