Monday, June 10, 2013

Snowflakes

I know longer pay any attention. I continue right on my merry way. Some are animated, some are unbelieving. I'm too exhilarated to care anymore. I'm too cheery and content to notice.

I'm speaking of the aghast faces I encounter upon revealing my love of a certain four letter word - SNOW. Not many here in Western Michigan use words like "serene" or "tranquil" in the same sentence as snow. Many are quite perplexed by my rapturous, gleeful response to Lake Effect Snow warnings. I'm not exactly jubilant either when it comes to shoveling out from under blankets of the white stuff.

But they float. Big, fluffy flakes of frozen moisture float down, sometimes rather briskly from heaven above. Oh, the elation I feel when it lands on my nose. Free and easy they fall, creating a winter wonderland for sledding with the kids.

And they keep floating. Each floating flake is a different, unique, design used by God to create some of the most beatific scenes, such as He does with all of His creation. The beauty reminds me to slow down, watch, and breathe.

A season is changing. I'm going to need blankets, hot chocolate, mittens and scarves, because the cold, virulent winds are certain to come. My cheeks will get rosy, my lips will get chapped. The bitter  cold winds will even try to turn my buoyant snowflakes against me.

Threatening winds will form tremulous snow banks. Menacing, restless winds will blow my diffident flakes in swirling fashion, eager to cloud the path I trod.

But my journey will continue. For when the snow melts, and my spirited snowflakes say goodbye, a
new season will usher in heroic sunshine, serene and sparkling waters, and new life. And just as green growth gallantly burst forth from a once dormant, oppressing season, my soul will sprout hope. The dreary days of a grey and gloomy winter are passed. I will lift up mine eyes and rejoice. Tears of joy will now water a once crushed, despairing heart, and nourish the fertile, living soul. My soul will then blossom of unwavering, restful hope.

2 comments:

  1. I love watching it snow but we don't get snow here in Australia much...except in the high country. First time I saw snow falling I was in a business conference in Sthn England. Conference was in a room with a roaring log fire and big windows & I sat & watched as snow started gently drifting down. Conference centre was in an old manor house with classic English gardens. Looked like a Christmas picture postcard. Just beautiful. I forget the conference but that picture in my mind is with me forever. A gift from God.

    Thanks Melody. Made me recall a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John come visit this winter! Hot Cocoa, blankets, fire place! Doesn't get any better! But we all take turns with going outside for the mail! Ha!

      Delete